Posts in Code
Last month at the Central Denver Drupal meeting, Nick Switzer from Elevated Third showed how they are using a structured spreadsheet format for describing their Drupal configuration in a way that makes it easy to build. They based their spreadsheet format on a template Palantir published a while ago, and someone mentioned Lullabot has been using something similar.
When using a config in code development approach you need standardized content to test against and to provide a common ground to review variations with your team. But what do you do when you're starting on a project and you don't have content from a client yet?
Abstracting styles so they are reusable and clearly named is rarely straightforward. Here are some patterns to look for that will ease the pain when styling lists.
Lists come in three flavors. Content, Collections and Navigation.
Last weekend I gave a talk on "Footless Drupal" about how Drupal 8 is using declarative programming for configuration, how the Config in Code (CINC) module is aiming to backport that to Drupal 7, and how it's already possible to use custom configuration workflows outside the default Drupal interfaces.
Aten is always looking for good opportunities to contribute useful code around the open source software we use. Here are some opportunities we've found recently.
Yesterday, I was the only Vim zealot at Aten Design Group. Today, we are two. Tomorrow...
Spankin' new text editors (looking at you, Atom); they make us feel fancy, they make us feel progressive. Sometimes we even fool ourselves into thinking they make us more productive, even as we port all of the configuration from our previous text editor to a new one. That's silly as shit. Pick a text editor and take it to your grave.
The upcoming release of Compass 1.x will feature some nice improvements in how our CSS handles cross-browser support. The new system will be driven by caniuse data, which is pretty exciting.
There are 2 main aspects to consider when dealing with cross browser support in your Compass project.
One of the primary goals of the new CPR.org website was creating a great, seamless media experience. Part of this was the creation of a persistent audio player that worked on as many modern browsers and devices as possible. Creating this experience, though, was a bit of a process. The audio landscape is pretty scattered when you take a close look at HTML5 audio support and Flash support. So the first thing up was finding a library that let us use both types of audio to reach a wider audience.
Drupal has long struggled in the area of media management and embedding. Despite Drupal’s wide selection of media modules, none of them have matched our requirements (probably too much to ask). Media module almost tries to do too much thus being a little overwhelming and challenging to modify. The Insert and Video Embed modules, among others, attempt to solve specific use cases, but are quite limited.